In San Ramon and around the world, futsal is a fun, fast-paced sport that shares many similarities with soccer. It is often played indoors.
Futsal vs. Soccer
Both sports have much in common, but there are some significant differences too.
- Futsal is played 5 v 5.
- Each team has 4 field players + a goalie.
- Futsal uses a "no bounce" ball.
- A futsal ball bounces about 1/2 as high as a soccer ball.
- This allows the ball to settle to the floor quickly.
- Futsal has no offsides rule.
- Futsal courts have out-of-bounds lines.
- In this instance, futsal is just like basketball and outdoor soccer.
- There are no throw-ins in futsal.
- A ball that rolled out of bounds is passed back onto the court to restart play.
- In futsal, substitutions are made "in the run of play".
- This means a player can leave the court in the middle of the game and be replaced by a teammate while the ball is in play.
- Slide tackling is not allowed in futsal.